There may have been another entrance under the present road-junction immediately east of the Stanwick vicarage, in the middle of the northern side, or less probably, at an existing gap 150 yards further to the southeast.The rampart was of earth, aligned initially at the back on a small marking-out trench and bank; in front it was revetted with a vertical drystone wall.He wrote: “Of the three accounts, the earliest, dating from shortly after the discovery, states that the objects ‘were deposited together in a pit at a depth of about five feet within the entrenchment at Stanwick.Near by large iron hoops were found.’ Two years later Mac Lauchlan showed the find-spot on his map…as a little to the northeast of Lower Langdale, well outside the main Stanwick earthworks, and, in spite of variant accounts, his evidence may be regarded as authoritative.” Nothing more is said of these finds throughout the book.The main rampart was here thrown into the ditch anciently, doubtless when this portion of the work was included in and superseded by the work of Phase II.Near the northwestern corner was a stone-flanked entrance, now partially obscured by the northern end-wall of the Terrace plantation.As already indicated, that part of the Phase I earthwork which now lay inside the new enclosure was largely obliterated by filling its rampart into its ditch.The enclosure constituting Phase II had an entrance near its western corner…where 50ft of the ditch, partially rock-cut, were cleared with notable results…
You’re now in the middle of the fortifications and earthworks!
Instead, Mortimer guides us through their dig, beginning with the structural sequence of the extensive earthworks that constitute Stanwick’s fortifications, from Phase 1 onwards, saying: This plan shows the 3-phase evolution of Stanwick’s earthworks from the Iron Age period at the top, to Phase 3 workings in the 1st century AD (from Wheeler’s The Stanwick Fortifications, 1954) " data-medium-file="https://megalithix.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/stanwick-fortifications-wheeler-1954.jpg?
w=197" data-large-file="https://megalithix.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/stanwick-fortifications-wheeler-1954.jpg? w=393" class="size-medium wp-image-7047 " title="Stanwick Fortifications (Wheeler 1954)" src="https://megalithix.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/stanwick-fortifications-wheeler-1954.jpg?
Archaeologists who did further work here in the 1980s concluded that it was one of Cartimandua’s “estates” — possibly even the original capital city of Brigantia.
The settlement was enlarged and fortified considerably upon the arrival of the Romans in the first century.